Sea Monsters Revealed, an exhibition of the world's largest plastinated sea creatures, makes its world premiere debut at the Museum of Science & Industry (MOSI) on Saturday, March 9.
"MOSI is thrilled to host the world premiere of Sea Monsters Revealed. We believe that it will set a new standard for traveling exhibitions and has the potential to match the tremendous impact created by the world premiere of Bodies... The Exhibition," said MOSI President Wit Ostrenko.
Like the human anatomy exhibits that now circle the globe, Sea Monsters Revealed uses the revolutionary polymer preservation technique commonly known as plastination to bring real sea animals onto dry land for an up-close and personal look at the most mysterious creatures the deep sea has to offer. Visitors will not only see the outside, but also the inside of the most elusive aquatic life ever discovered, including a 6-foot-wide manta ray, a 15-foot-long mako shark, a giant squid, and an 18-foot-long, 3,000 pound whale shark. All specimens in the exhibition are authentic, stunning examples of the mysteries that lie beyond our shores and have been carefully recovered in accordance with the highest animal protection standards.
"The oceans are Earth's last frontier. Scientists have explored only 5 percent of their mysteries, leaving the remaining 95 percent to the imagination. Sea Monsters Revealed takes visitors on a journey of exploration in search of the elusive sea monster," said the exhibition's creator, John Zaller. "The creatures in this exhibition are so massive, so impressive, and so magical, that you truly have to experience it to grasp its impact and importance."
More than 18 full-body sea creatures will be on display, along with more than 150 individual organs and smaller specimens that define the life of the sea.
While these impressive sea creatures truly are the stars of the show, they are set in a multi-sensory environment unlike any other traveling exhibition. The exhibition's theatrical and scenic elements take visitors back in time to an 18th century oceanographer's study to learn about humanity's fascination with the ocean throughout history via an interactive map table and lessons from the earliest natural scientists and explorers, demonstrating that logic and adventure are important elements in the pursuit of science. Moving forward, visitors will then enter a specially-built submersible, where they will descend to the depths to explore the sea floor and meet renowned ocean explorers such as Fabian Cousteau and Sylvia Earle. They will then have the opportunity to walk on the ocean floor among the giants of the deep. At the end of the exhibition, visitors will be able to engage with live sea creatures in a specially constructed touch pool - a first for a traveling exhibition.